Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Irene and the first day of school!


Oh where to start, lets see. Saturday night we decided to watch a movie{first mistake}. We watched Something Borrowed which was excellent, Ryder and Eve even enjoyed it and we all could not stop laughing! We knew Irene was here, it actually started to pour and I made the comment, that the electricity might go out and we miss the end of the movie~boo, wish it would have now looking back! So we went to bed around 12.30pm{second mistake}. I have to explain something. We have a 200+ year old stone home. The basement is well, scary to some, and to most, you must duck down, especially Jamie and I. It has a low ceiling and a pit in the middle for we have three areas that literally there are fountains of water that pour up and out from the cement. A little around 1~1.30am someone woke up and it was PITCH BLACK, electric out! We did not check the basement{third mistake, BIG mistake!} It was a rough night, the little ones kept awakening, Jamie out on the couch with some, me in the bed with some. So come 7am, I awoke, first thing I did was run downstairs......yeah, fourth mistake! We were seriously flooded, without electricity{hence, no sub-pump working :( } and no generator{fifth mistake?}. Luckily, our more than generous neighbors the Chapman's let us use their generator, for the next 44 hours off and on, oh, just let the cat out of the bag, yes, we were 44 hours without electricity, the children's last day of summer vacation, no electric! Their first day of school, NO ELECTRIC! Jamie and I were losing it, it is something we NEVER want to go through AGAIN! EVER!!!!! The children I must say, extremely impressed me. They have never been so happy to go to school.....there was normalcy there, hot food and cold water, toilets that flushed normally, oh and electricity! LOL! The funniest thing about all this, you have no idea how fast it gets dark. Sunday and even Monday night, we were no where prepared. All of us running around like chickens with their heads cut off, scrambling to get jammies on, teeth brushed, contacts out......yes, it was CRAZY fast how light just disappears.....gone, only flashlights{which by the way, on Thursday I went grocery shopping at Wal-Mart and something, a little voice inside me said buy some flashlights, which I did and I think next time there, I might pick up some more, just in case...!} Yes, the little things such as washing your hands after gardening, my yearly ritually of buying the fall mums, I get out of the house before the tears of missing my children start flowing, visit Glicks Greenhouse for them and they are BEAUTIFUL every year and came home to plant them, told Jamie I was going to run inside and wash my hands before we caught Griffen off the bus, got to the sink and even turned on the hot water, DARN IT! How easily you forget!!!! Oh, and last week our hot water heater died.....it was not till Saturday I had hot water since Monday....another long story and week I care to put behind us.....oh and don't even ask about the toilets......use your imagination, we do have a great source for water though, the pool! Thank goodness for Ryder and his patience of filling up the buckets! 
So, here are some pictures of our first day of school.......


Dunkin Doughnuts for the second day in a row....dont think I will be hungry for them in a few months!


Starting left, Dawson and his first day of middle school, looks thrilled huh? Well, that's Dawson, you never really know what he is thinking! Ryder, first day of high school, WHAT??!! High school, ops sorry I fainted and had to pick my sorry a$$ up! Still cannot believe it, but am so happy we have a high schooler in the Oley Vally School District~ I <3 this place and am so jealous of our children. If there is one dream I would love my children to complete for me, this is the one! Jamie and I are in no doubt agreement, this school rocks and are both jealous of our own children......tears are welling up! 
Oh and our happy little Eve a big 7th grader this year! She loves school and excels in it!


Our stop for the morning....wire down the road so the bus could not make the loop around the "block". You would be amazing, but not surprised, at how many people would drive past and I would think, silly person, don't know how to read? and a minute two or later, there they would fly by again! People really amaze me!



Left, Griffen and his first day of Kindergarten! He LOVED it and went smiling and came home smiling, even after a 1 hour bus ride home~road detours, late getting them on and such....then little Aspen, stayed home. Sawyer, 2nd grade and going to learn cursive~I think he will like it, he is very good and creative at things like that! Tessa, 5th grade and her last year of elementary school, even though she looks like she is ready for Middle! Leif, 3rd grade and loves it, he definitely needs to be kept busy, gets so bored at home! And little Maeve, who goes next year but is ready now she says....I need the extra year home with her! 


Griffen, great shot taken by Daddy!

No comments: