Friday, July 29, 2011

25 years ago

a tragedy occurred in my life. I was so young, but it taught me so much about life and shaped much of who I am, my beliefs and paths in life. It still does to this day and this time of year, it haunts me. My mothers cousin, a mother of 4~{one of them being my bff/sister} a wife, a sister and a daughter, a loving caring soft spoken women of whom I looked up too and can still this day hear her voice say my name, oh, how I loved how she said it, so sweet and gentle, I admired so much at such a young age, life was taken away too soon by a drunk driver in her own front yard. I remember that night, almost every detail. It was a long night, a long horrible night. I remember how mad I was at how she was taken away, the past year things were changing in my life. I had Karen, a new "sister" to me, a new found friend. I even noticed how good my parents were getting along......I remember my mom crying all night long that night when we came home. The Medevac helicopter flying overhead as we got to the scene, the police reporter that Karen threw a walnut/rock at for taking pictures of the scene......but the one thing that haunts me the most, is after her husband told us all she was gone, that the doctors did everything they could to save her, his words were numb for he was still in shock I now understand, was hearing her youngest daughter, I believe she was 8ish, ask immediately "When is mommy coming home?" Being a mom now, I cry even harder when I remember that moment, the hot tears stream as I type, the stabbing pain in my chest as a mother now, hurts. The tragedy has taught me I have no tolerance for drinking or no sadness for anyone who drinks and drives. I am hardened by the thought of how people can be so ignorant and stupid about drinking, believe me, I tried once being drunk~HATED it, Karen are you laughing right now remembering it, or crying? I have even tried this past month a little bit of mixed drinking, only to wake up feeling like crap and saying this ain't worth it, I like to feel life, even if it is painful, I drink it all in, life that is. To waste my moments not feeling it, is not worth it. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind if one drinks, it is just not for me. I do not think less of anyone who does either. I do not think I am better than one who chooses to drink either. I take this tragedy as a lesson, one that I do not like in my life, but one that I will not forget either. For you are given everyday as a gift, Vicki awoke this day not knowing it would be her last full day here on Earth as a happy day....that the next day it would all end and she would enter that place that one day we will all go too. I have since that tragic day, taken the knowledge that she will be there to greet me on my day, I will see her beautiful face and loving open arms to hold me.....the only positive that I could pull from that day, sad, but comforting to me at the same time. I know she is watching over us, smiling for she always was and will be that way in my memory! 
Vicki on the left, my mom on the right

 Me and Karen
                                      


This picture was taken right before that tragic day, I remember my mom developing the photos and anticipating them.....it was 25 years ago, but still hurts like it was yesterday!

No comments: