Monday, July 11, 2011

Two signs for one idea......

Last week I ripped out a coupon for $3 off your purchase from a local orchard that was advertising blueberry picking. It brought back the memories of my Grandfathers blueberry bushes next to his barn, the picking them fresh off the bush, there isn't anything close to it when you get them from the grocery store! My children have never done such a fun childhood thing...sure, we have red raspberries and even wine berries which they love to eat, but blueberries......no bushes yet and not sure we will for they are hard to keep and expensive{both the other berries we have were free and take care of themselves}. So I put the coupon on the refrigerator in hopes to get some motivation to take them, you know how that goes, come September I would have found it and thrown it away with a *sigh* and hope to do so next summer.....nope, another sign came to me yesterday, I came across this beautiful blog and there was the most wonderful idea of blueberry picking container I have seen! And for a family that just went through seven gallons of milk in one week{still not sure how that happened, we usually go through that in two weeks?} it was a perfect sign, with one exception, it was recycling pickup this past Thursday, lol!.....I managed to find 5 along with 2 syrup ones that were perfect for the little ones to hold, not so heavy as the other ones. Cut them, cleaned them and all tied up in the van ready to be full of blue goodness in the morning.
And the morning came, woke the crew up at 7.30{I had originally told them 7, but gave them and extra half hour of sleep, maybe that is why they were happy and so cooperative}. The getting ready went smoothly, the ride up short and the picking......a little over an hour and thirty-one-and-a-half pounds later the containers were all full! Yes, no one complained, they loved it and I see us doing this again, along with some other fruits this season. I think I see a tradition starting here....a great way to start this week! Enjoy the photos, they were taken by Eve.
















No comments: